Saturday 1 December 2018

Blogmas Day 1: Christmas Reading List

Hey Guys!

⭐ Welcome to Day One of Blogmas 2018 ⭐

Christmas is a great time of year for sitting in front of the fire with a cup of tea reading a book, especially when it is freezing cold outside! So, to kick off Blogmas I wanted to talk about three books that are on my Christmas reading list. Other than all the Christmas specials and movies to watch there are plenty of books to read as well ❣


If there are any books that you guys recommend for some Christmas reading let me know, I'd love to add them to my list ❤

Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashardoust




Girls Made of Snow and Glass was sent to me back in October and I was so thrilled to finally get to read it. This is the book I'm currently reading, but unfortunately due to deadlines at university and getting all my work completed before the Christmas break I haven't had a chance to read it a lot, which is why I plan on finishing it over the Christmas break while I'm relaxing back home with a mug of hot chocolate sat with the dog. 

Plot


At sixteen, Mina's mother is dead, her magician father is vicious, and her silent heart has never beat with love for anyone --- has never beat at all, in fact, but she’d always thought that fact normal. She never guessed that her father cut out her heart and replaced it with one of glass. When she moves to Whitespring Castle and sees its king for the first time, Mina forms a plan: win the king’s heart with her beauty, become queen, and finally know love. The only catch is that she’ll have to become a stepmother.

Fifteen-year-old Lynet looks just like her late mother, and one day she discovers why: a magician created her out of snow in the dead queen’s image, at her father’s order. But despite being the dead queen made flesh, Lynet would rather be like her fierce and regal stepmother, Mina. She gets her wish when her father makes Lynet queen of the southern territories, displacing Mina. Now Mina is starting to look at Lynet with something like hatred, and Lynet must decide what to do --- and who to be --- to win back the only mother she’s ever known…or else defeat her once and for all.

Entwining the stories of both Lynet and Mina in the past and present, GIRLS MADE OF SNOW AND GLASS traces the relationship of two young women doomed to be rivals from the start. Only one can win all, while the other must lose everything --- unless both can find a way to reshape themselves and their story.

So far the book has been so good! The type of book I really enjoy and only takes me a short amount of time to read. It's a shame I haven't had the chance to properly sit down and read it while not stressing about uni work. So, I look forward to finally getting the time to enjoy it. 

Amy Snow by Tracey Rees



I received Amy Snow quite a few years ago, started it and then never got past the first 20 pages so this Christmas I want to finally tackle the book (it's quite a big book compared to the other two) and finally have it on the completed pile. Especially as from the first few pages it was so gripping, I just didn't have the time to finish it. 

Plot


Left to perish on a bank of snow as a baby, Amy has never known love, never known family.

Reluctantly given shelter at nearby Hatville Court, she is despised by the masters and servants alike.

The beautiful Hatville heiress, Aurelia Vennaway, is Amy's only advocate - she becomes the light of Amy's life, and the centre of her existence.

So when Aurelia dies young, Amy's world collapses. But Aurelia leaves Amy with one last gift.

A bundle of letters with a coded key. A treasure hunt that only Amy can unlock.

A life-changing secret awaits... if only she can reach it.


Books like these are always great when wanting to relax for a few hours in the cosy living room where you can just dive right in!

A Nightingale Christmas Wish by Donna Douglas 



I've had this book on my reading pile for years, and by years I mean years! I brought it from Tesco when I was still living back home way before moving to university and I still never got the chance to read it. I always ended up putting it to the side to read something else. So, this Christmas I'm dedicating myself to finally getting round to picking it up and enjoy a Christmas read.

Plot


As Christmas 1938 approaches, the staff at the Nightingale Hospital have their own wishes for the festive season.

Ward sister Frannie Wallace is hoping she won’t have to live through another war like the one that claimed her beloved fiance. But with bomb defences going up all around London, it seems as if her hopes are in vain.

Staff Nurse Helen Dawson wants to find happiness again after the death of her husband Charlie. A handsome stranger seems to offer the chance she wants. But is she looking for love in the wrong place?

Matron Kathleen Fox struggles to keep up morale amongst her nurses as the hospital faces the threat of evacuation. But while everyone else worries about the future of the Nightingale, it’s for her own future that Kathleen truly fears.

As the country prepares itself for war, one thing is for sure – by the time next Christmas comes, nothing at the Nightingale Hospital will be the same again…

This book may sound a bit sat for a Christmas read, but I enjoy reading books like these! Especially when it includes more than one storyline ❤

What is on your reading list for this Christmas? Let me know in the comments below!

See you guys tomorrow for Day Two of Blogmas ❄

Amy x 

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous post Amy! I love book reviews, I always read romantic books especially Christmas ones! I’m currently reading Christmas at little Beach street Bakery! I love your flat lays, they look beautiful! The gingerbread men are adorable! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm going to try to read Victoria: A Woman's Christmas.

    Joy at www.thejoyousliving.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping to read a couple of books this month, including The Christmasaurus (because I'm a big kid!)
    You're so right though, this time of year is perfect for chilling with a book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl Made of Snow sounds really good - you will have to let me know what you think when you finish it. I am currently reading Every Colour of You by Amelia Mandeville. I follow her on YouTube and am loving her book too, although not really Christmas-themed. xx

    ReplyDelete

Disqus Shortname

Comments system