Sunday 8 October 2017

First Week Back At Uni: Second Year and New House

Hey Guys!

So I've officially had my first academic week back at university and wanted to reflect and talk about how second year seems to be so far. I did have an induction the week before but that was just an introduction lecture discussing our third year options and to ensure our module credits were all correct. Unlucky for me I made a mistake with my module credits and had to change a few things but I'm just glad it wasn't really complicated to fix. 

My First Week Back


So this week I only had three lectures and one seminar, a pretty broken down week having two lectures on a Monday, one lecture and seminar on Tuesday and then I had Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off! It won't be like that every week though, I just had two seminars cancelled as we didn't need to discuss anything. I'm a media, communication and cultural studies student so our contact and in uni hours aren't much compared to other courses like Chemistry and Engineering but we do have to do a lot of independent studying and rely on ourselves a lot. 

In respect to my first official week it was pretty good! I feel like when your a fresher the first week doesn't seem too overwhelming or pressured as you slowly move into all the work and then you realise later on how much work you have to do, where as now I'm in second year I already know how much work to expect and what my lectures expect from me, so for our first week we cut all the introductions and instead got straight into our topics. Our lecturer was already talking about our research proposal for our dissertation which was pretty stressful to think about as I've barely thought about what I'm going to base my dissertation paper on. But it was exciting to think about what potential ideas we can propose and in what areas. As we are media students there are endless topics of discussion we can do for our paper, it can be anything from how violence in the media affects children, to public mourning and grime music. 

The modules I've taken for semester one are Advertising and Consumption, Research Methods and Representations: Identity, Culture & Society. It is quite a variety and I haven't taken too many credits to overwhelm me in the first stages of second year, I feel its easier for me to take more credits in semester 2 as I will have got back into the habit to be productive and focus! 

New House


My new house is great! It is so much better than what we were all expecting. When we viewed the house back in January we had to be really quick and brief as another group of students were coming to view the property too, so we were thankful it looked as good as we remembered! 

I live with five other people who I met from my flat and university accommodation in first year and through my university course. At first we had a few problems with the house appliances like the boiler and broken doors but now that we have been in the house for three weeks we are all settled and comfy! I definitely prefer living in a house with my closest friends than being in university accommodation. It is so nice just having our own place, it feels more cosy and our rooms are a lot more personal. University accommodation is great for first year as that is where you meet everyone and make your friends but after that stage having a house is so much better! At some point I'll do a room tour to show you all what my new room looks like compared to what my old room in my uni halls looked like  

Considering we live in a six bedroom house the space is great! Most rooms are pretty big and we only really have one tiny bedroom and that is an extension on the back of the house! The location of our house is gold! We are right opposite the metro which is so convenient when getting to uni and the rent we pay is amazing!

All in all we made a great choice when deciding on this house! 

If any of you are second year students how was your first week?

Let me know in the comments below :)

See you on Wednesday my lovelies!

Amy xx 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus Shortname

Comments system