Thursday 12 July 2018

Finding The Cutest Bookshop In Paris

Shakespeare and Company, an Adventure Land for book lovers! 


In Paris, there are so many places you could explore but this wonderland really was a golden find. While searching for other things to explore around the Notre Dame I came across a blog post by Discover Walks and scrolled through aiming to find some hidden gems, and up came Shakespeare and Company amongst the list. When I read the description and history of the bookshop I knew this was one that had to be added to the agenda. 

When I was younger I was obsessed with everything books (especially Jaqueline Wilson) and every Saturday I would go to this bookshop Book Thrift and see what else I could find to read but also just to look amongst the shelves and see if they had brought anything new in since the last Saturday I'd been in. Then as I got older and school became harder I didn't have the time to really enjoying reading anymore, the only time I really got to sit and read was when we would go on holiday. 

I miss having the time to read and not have so many other priories. Now I'm in university I do get the opportunity to read, but it isn't the books in my bookcase and instead is my course's reading list (which at times is really interesting) but a lot of the time I would love to swap them for a Harry Potter or Lauren Kate novel! 

When I visited Shakespeare and Company it kind of reignited my love for bookshops and the joy of just wondering around and finding new books to read  



It was busy inside so it is clearly a very popular place amongst Parisians and tourists, so I browsed through each of the rooms admiring all the different collections of books and getting excited when I came across a book I'd been trying to find for ages. Each room was filled with bookcases displaying countless genres and furnishings which were old and vintage, giving an old English vibe. Each room was snug and only a small group of people were able to fit in each room but the cosiness of the place made it ideal. This was my dream bookshop, it gave the look of someone's library and I love it!

Outside they had a few stall type bookcases where they were all second-hand books donated. There was such a large collection of books like the Hunger Games and Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy, a variety of books that everyone could enjoy. My mum and I both share the love for crime and murder novels so we picked up The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld, which is is about Sigmund Freud (which is crazy because I have to read a lot of his work for my course at university) and his first and last trip to the United States. I haven't started reading it yet as I've been enjoying Fallen By Lauren Kate but it is next on the reading list for my summer break  


The staff were great and so friendly! Smiling and laughing at my over-excited shriek when they stamped the book and gave me a free bookmark. I wish I could have had more time to look around all the bookcases that covered the walls from floor to ceiling and got the chance to buy more books from their extensive collection but we only had one suitcase between the three of us for our trip so I don't think buying tons of books would have been a good idea! 


If you're a book lover and live or visit Paris this place is a must visit! If you are struggling to find a particular book I'm sure they will have it, I'll definitely be paying another visit when I come to Paris next and plan on taking my best friend as she is a book lover just like me   

They have an Instagram page so make sure to check it out:

A post shared by Shakespeare and Company, Paris (@shakespeareandcoparis) on

A post shared by Shakespeare and Company, Paris (@shakespeareandcoparis) on

What is your favourite book? Let me know in the comments below! 

See you soon!

Amy xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus Shortname

Comments system