Saturday 15 March 2014

My Experience With Braces

No More Braces! Time for Retainers

My experience, advice and tips

I first got my braces on the 21st Febuary 2011, and before that I had to have twin blocks which were the most annoying, aggravating pieces of plastic ever!

Getting them on:

Before having my braces on I had to have several x-rays taken and oh my it hurt. The plastic that they put in my mouth pushed into my gums and was unbelievably irritating. Then I had to have photos taken of the position of my teeth so they had to pull my mouth back with these plastic scoop things while the assistant took photos of my teeth. After it was time to get my braces fitted.

I thought getting my braces would hurt more because you always hear stories of painful experiences but mine was fine. That night and for a couple of days after having them put on I did experience some aches and pains and the wires rubbed against my cheeks. But after a few days my teeth adjusted and it stopped rubbing my cheeks as the wires moved.

While having my braces on, one side of my mouth worked faster than the other so when it came to the last couple of months I had to keep waiting for a gap on my left side and my right side was already perfectly straight so it was frustrating.

There were so many foods I weren't allowed to eat such as apples, toffees, corn on the cob, chewing gum and fizzy drinks. But I always drank fizzy drinks and had sweets and I had no problems I just made sure I drank the fizzy drinks with a straw so that it didn't come into a lot of contact with my teeth. One food that I was allowed to eat but couldn't was steak. Because my teeth became sensitive after having my braces put on I found it really difficult to chew steak and sometimes I couldn't eat crisps because my teeth were so sensitive.

 Getting them off:

When I got them off I was in and out like a flash. I was only in their for 20 minutes at the most. Having them removed wasn't painful but a weird experience. He took off the elastics and then got out this scary equipment that looked like pliers, he then started like clamping the brackets but it wasn't painful. It made a cracking noise and I was afraid that he was breaking my teeth. Once they were removed they polished my teeth and it was such a weird sensation.

I think the bad part of getting my braces off was having to have the cast for my retainers taking. The bottom cast was fine and didn't make me gag at all but when it came to the top it was so disgusting. I wanted to cough put didn't want to gag so had to sit there for ages concentrating on not to cough

When everything was done my teeth felt so smooth and my mouth felt so big. I kept smiling like a cheshire cat and was so happy with the results. Having my braces for 3 years it was worth it even though it was painful at times and annoying especially when coming to eating food but other then that it was worth it by far!

Tips/advice:

  • Don't forget to brush your teeth twice a day and to floss.
  • Don't eat foods that are too hard because it can get stuck in-between the wires and is difficult to get out.
  • Don't be afraid to get braces the results is amazing!
  • When first getting them put on eat soft foods for a few days because your teeth will be sensitive.
  • You may have to take painkillers as it can give you headaches when your teeth are aching.
  • Don't be afraid to smile!






2 comments:

  1. Wow! I can only imagine what you've gone through. I've never had braces, but I had a lot of friends that did. It must've been hard for you, but at least now you can smile widely with pride! Thank you for the great tips and wonderful advice. I hope more people would take those in consideration. :)

    Thomas DeFinnis @ Wynnewood Dental Arts

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a knowledgeable list of tips, Amy. There are immense numbers of people getting braces, and I'm sure they have a hard time maintaining them. I hope they stumble upon your post. It'll clue them in on the dos and don'ts in a very simple and informative way. Thanks for sharing! All the best to you! :)

    Karen Perry @ Brookside Dental Care

    ReplyDelete

Disqus Shortname

Comments system